Good mental health is more than a lack of mental illness. In fact, good mental health can share a close connection with your physical health. While life can be challenging and sometimes overwhelming, there are simple ways to prioritize your mental health and make sure that you’re taking care of yourself the way you deserve.
Why mental health matters
Mental health is your emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Your mental health affects how you think, feel, act, and make choices. Oftentimes, mental health gets put on the back burner when you’re leading a busy life. Yet studies show that your mental and physical health are more tied together than previously understood. Mental well-being is important at every stage of life, from childhood all the way through adulthood. In fact, mental health ebbs and flows, changing over time, depending on what you’re going through. And when someone is struggling with poor mental health, it can have serious consequences. For example, depression can increase risk factors for many types of physical health issues. There is never any shame in contacting a physician if you’re feeling overwhelmed and need extra support.
Commonality and causes of mental illness
Mental illnesses are among the most common health challenges in the United States, with more than 50% of people diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their lifetime. One in every five Americans will experience mental illness in a given year. Yet, there is no single cause for mental illness. Between early adverse life experiences, trauma or abuse, medical conditions, biological factors, or chemical imbalances in the brain, none of these causes are the fault of those who experience mental health issues. This is why mental health matters.
Self-care is the best care
Self-care seems like a trite statement these days, but the adage is true. Just like the airplane staff instructs you to put your oxygen mask on first before attempting to help the person next to you with theirs, the same advice goes for your health. To be able to take care of those around you, it’s crucial that you make sure your needs are met. You cannot pour positivity from an empty cup. So many people are loving, giving individuals that they forget to take care of themselves. Here are a few ways you can prioritize yourself so you can help others around you thrive.
Start with the basics
Understanding why mental health matters can help you operate from a solid foundation:
- Regular exercise: Just 30 minutes of walking a day can help boost your mood and improve health
- Healthy, regular meals and plenty of water
- 7 – 8 hours of sleep every night
Here are some proven strategies to aid in mental health:
- Use a daily gratitude journal: List three things you are grateful for every day. It can be as simple as a cup of coffee or as thoughtful as why you love your children. Either way, counting your blessings helps remind you of the good things in life.
- Stay connected to family and friends: Make sure to check in with your loved ones, either by meeting them for weekly dinners or biweekly brunches or by scheduling a zoom call for a book club.
- Get creative once a day: Simply engaging in a creative activity like coloring, building, knitting, writing, or crafting has been shown to increase happiness, reduce dementia, and even boost your immune system.
- Meditate: Taking 10 — 15 minutes once a day to sit quietly, focusing your attention, and eliminating your thoughts has been proven to help with stress. Using a mindfulness app, going for a walk to observe nature, repeating a calm word, or visualizing a peaceful place may sound silly, but it actually does wonders for you.
Use natural products that aid with calmness
Sometimes even when you’re doing your best, you still need something more to help you separate yourself from external stressors and find the right balance. REDOXMood, a natural supplement blend for supporting sustained cellular calmness, has been specifically designed to help you experience more relaxation and improved mood, using ingredients Powered by Redox™. This proprietary blend of ingredients includes:
- GABA: Enhances neurotransmitter levels that help regulate mood, reduce oxidative stress in the central nervous system, and improve redox balance
- L-Tyrosine: Supports elevated expressions of enzymes to regulate mood
- Ashwagandha: Helps your body regulate stress hormones and create a feeling of relaxation
- Saffron: Supports fighting stress for better sleep, leading to improved mood
- B vitamins: Helps regulate your stress hormones to improve relaxation
Plus, ASEA Cell Performance products do not have any artificial colors, flavors, sugars, or preservatives. Simply open and add one stickpack to your preferred beverage, shake or stir, and drink! See why so many are enjoying the benefits of REDOXMood and Cell Performance products.