Your skin structure is your natural barrier to the outside world. With just three soft layers, it protects all your other systems and organs from our wild environment. The epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis each perform a different primary function, and each one is an essential part of healthy-looking skin. Read about how each layer functions, what products can help keep it healthy, why it’s time to rethink how you see your skin.
The layers of your skin structure
The outermost layer of skin is called the epidermis and is primarily made up of dead skin cells. This layer serves as a protective barrier to keep harmful pollutants out and lock moisture and nutrients in. It’s the first line of defense against viruses, bacteria, and the environment.
The dermis or middle layer of your skin hosts most of your skin’s primary functions. Nerves, proteins, glands, enzymes, and blood vessels make up this layer. A network of blood vessels supplies nutrients and oxygen to the epidermis from this dermal layer.
The subcutaneous layer of skin tissue, or the undermost layer, is called the hypodermis. This layer is made up of fat, blood vessels, and nerves which keep your body insulated and cushioned.
Essential proteins and characteristics
Two primary proteins give your skin structure and support: collagen and elastin. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body and is the main building block for your skin. It is responsible for firmness and structure. Lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin result from collagen breakdown caused by the aging process and UV exposure. Elastin allows your skin to bounce back into place after being stretched.
Glands located in the dermis at the root of each hair follicle are called sebaceous glands, which produce sebum or oil. Sebum keeps your skin and hair hydrated but can build up inside your pores, leading to blemishes and unwanted skin conditions.
Supercharge your skin structure from within
Your skin is an organ of incredible complexity, but understanding its structure can help you see how it works, which can help you understand why certain ingredients will be more effective than others.
It’s time to start using the power your skin already has within it. Your cells naturally move through a cycle of rejuvenation, restoration, and renewal supported by redox—and this balance helps your skin continue to look and feel vibrant. Unfortunately, this process slows over time, often resulting in fine lines, wrinkles, or dulling. Our RENUAdvanced® Skin Care System helps your skin cells maintain redox homeostasis and complete this cycle optimally, supporting your natural skin renewal so your skin feels toned and smooth—and glows radiantly.
These thoughtfully formulated and scientifically proven ingredients help your skin cells do what they were born to do: look agelessly amazing. According to the National Library of Medicine, these ingredients can help the various layers of your skin.
- Leontopodium alpinum flower/leaf extract (edelweiss) helps protect and soothe skin sensitivity. This powerful antioxidant helps skin stay supple, firm, and wrinkle-free. It also helps protect from strong UV rays in high altitudes.
- Hydroxyacetophenone serves as a soothing agent and a free radical antioxidant.
- Annona cherimola fruit extract helps calm and re-energize the skin. It can help to reveal more vibrant, lively skin and boost skin renewal.
- Crithmum maritimum extract, commonly known as sea fennel, supports the skin’s natural exfoliation process. It works by stimulating cellular renewal and improving structure and thickening. It also eases the excess of cell masses by reducing them through natural exfoliation.
- Hyaluronic acid is naturally found in your skin and helps absorb the negative impacts of your environment like a sponge. Hyaluronic acid provides the volume and thickness for the dermis. By acting as filler, it helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid also helps move essential nutrients from the bloodstream to living skin cells and removes toxins. It maintains the hydration levels by acting like a sponge—holding up to 1,000 times its weight in water. This capability not only helps to keep the skin hydrated, but it also gives the skin a plump, moist, soft and juicy texture, helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is a potent form of Vitamin C that protects against free radicals and UV exposure. Studies show that it not only penetrates the epidermis, but also the dermis, your deepest layer of skin.
- Nicotiana benthamiana hexapeptide-40 sh-polypeptide-2 helps to even out skin tones that are visibly photoaged. It stimulates collagen production and keeps skin firm and smooth.
- Beta vulgaris (beet) root extract delivers long-lasting hydration and helps to maintain the natural skin barrier for radiant skin. This natural moisturizer helps increase the concentration of moisture in the deeper layers of your skin, showing immediate and long term hydration.
- Apigenin from chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract is a compound found in chamomile and known as a skin-soothing agent. Its anti-inflammatory properties soothe sensitive skin types and heal redness, tighten pores, and slow down the effects of aging. It aids in skin cell regeneration and acts as an antioxidant to fight free radical damage of the skin.
When it comes to anti-aging, it’s essential to think about the face as a whole instead of simply focusing on attacking certain problem areas with different products. Part of fighting aging is building a healthy body from the inside out and nourishing your skin structure from the bottom up, and that starts with a diet high in antioxidants and vitamins. Your skin will thank you for it!